BIICL Event ‘When Private Vessels Rescue Migrants: Legal Implications’
20th November 2020
27 November 2020 | 15.30 – 17.00 (UK time)
The past 2 decades have seen growing numbers of migrants, and would-be asylum seekers, embarking on perilous sea crossings to flee violence, conflict or persecution. Private vessels have increasingly been called on to assist persons in distress. These vessels are regularly faced with delays in disembarkation of rescued persons and instructions to return persons to countries where they risk harm and persecution. This webinar will present the findings of a research project undertaken by BIICL and funded by the Mirpuri Foundation that assessed the legal implications of these situations for private vessels and their masters.
The webinar will include a presentation of the research findings and a discussion with experts.
- Dr Paulo Mirpuri, President Mirpuri Foundation
- Dr Felicity Attard, Lecturer in International Law, University of Malta
- Dr Jean-Pierre Gauci, Arthur Watts Senior Research Fellow, BIICL
- Prof Irini Papanicolopulu, Universita di Milano-Bicocca
- Gabrielle Holly, Danish Institute for Human Rights
Event convened by Dr Jean-Pierre Gauci, Arthur Watts Senior Research Fellow in Public International Law and Director of Teaching and Training.